This free online course course, ‘Beyond the Sustainable Development Goals’ addresses sustainability and development.
Duration: Approx 9 hours to complete.
Flexible deadlines and 100% online.
Offered by the University of Michigan
Sustainability and development pose unprecedented challenges as human societies grow and seek to ensure future wellbeing and prosperity. This course focuses on addressing the twin challenges of sustainability and development with actionable knowledge for innovating solutions to the world’s most pressing problems like climate change, poverty and inequality, and biodiversity loss and ecosystem degradation.
When sustainability and development are placed on an equal footing, it requires thinking more explicitly about the trade-offs, co-benefits and synergies between them, which will be explored in depth each week. Throughout the course, you will be introduced to the theoretical currents in Sustainability and Development, and will garner an in-depth understanding of the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In this course, you will explore three of the most pressing challenges undergirding the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including climate change, poverty and inequality, and ecosystem degradation and biodiversity loss, with case studies to guide and challenge our thinking. In the final week of the course, trade-offs, co-benefits and synergies between these challenges will be discussed, especially as they relate to designing innovative solutions for achieving sustainability and development goals.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
1. Understand and explain the world’s most pressing problems with a specific focus on poverty & inequality, ecosystem degradation and biodiversity loss, and climate change.
2. Critically analyze the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their relationship to the world’s most pressing problems.
3. Use frameworks and evidence necessary to develop solutions.
4. Assess relevant solutions that would help realize the SDGs and at the same time solve the pressing problems.
5. Apply skills learned to implement solutions.
Apply now at the official link below: