Deadline: 30th April 2023 | Theme for 2023: Electrification. For mid-career and senior scientists. (Academician / researcher / innovator / technologist / expert / practitioner).
The United States Government, in partnership with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and Underwriters Laboratories, aims to strengthen ASEAN science and technology capacity and gender equality through an annual Underwriters Laboratories-ASEAN-U.S. Science Prize for Women (“Prize”). The 2023 Prize will provide promising, ASEAN-national, Mid-career and Senior female scientists with recognition awards from ASEAN and the United States government and Underwriters Laboratories for their academic and professional achievements.
The 2023 Prize will emphasize the role of female scientists who have used their work to improve the society in sustainable ways and have acted as role models for other women learning, working in, and pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). This year, the Prize focuses on the theme of electrification.
Along with recognition for their achievements, the winners are eligible to receive a cash award of $12,500 each for both the Senior Scientist and the Mid-career Scientist categories. Additionally, the runner-up finalists in each category will receive an honorable mention and $5,000.
The term “electrification” means converting the way a machine or system operates to the use of electrical power. It has been acclaimed as a key pathway to combatting climate change. Electrification replaces technologies that use fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas) with technologies that use electricity as a source of energy and it helps reduce carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions from transportation, building, and industrial sectors, which accounts for majority of greenhouse gas emissions. Addressing emissions from these sectors is critical to decarbonizing the economy and, ultimately, mitigating the impacts of climate change.
In order to participate in this Prize, applicants must meet all of the following criteria. An applicant must be a / an:
- Female professional working in applied science
- Citizen of an ASEAN Member State (AMS) include: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Holder a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree. Applicant who is candidate for, or in process of pursuing a PhD or doctoral degree are not eligible.
- To qualify for the Mid-career Scientist category, the applicant must be 45 years or below on the closing date of the application period.
- To qualify for the Senior Scientist category, the applicant must be aged 46 or older on the closing date of the application period.
Find out more and apply at the official link below:
Apply before 30th April, 2023