Deadline: 13th June 2023 | A creative challenge for teens worldwide. The 12th annual Ocean Awareness Contest is a platform for young people to learn about environmental issues through art-making and creative communication, explore their relationship to a changing world, and become advocates for positive change. Students ages 11-18 from around the world are invited to participate.
A climate hero can take many forms. Whether they are developing new technologies, advocating for environmental justice, or raising awareness through art, they are all fighting to alleviate and reverse the effects of climate change. There is a large and robust global community working to solve climate problems and forge a path towards a more livable and sustainable world.
For the 2023 Contest, we encourage you to follow what interests you – science, activism, justice, art, education, technology, and more – and uplift a trailblazer in that field who is making strides to fight climate change. We recommend that you look beyond the big names and share the story of an everyday hero in the climate movement. Look for initiatives in your community and beyond – who is spearheading them? How can we amplify their work?
Who May Enter
Students ages 11-18 from around the world are invited to participate in the Ocean Awareness Contest. Enter the division based on your age at the time of entry:
- Junior Division: Age 11-14
- Senior Division: Age 15-18
Students can participate as an individual or as a club, class, or group of any size. All students must provide the contact information for an Adult Sponsor (teacher, parent, mentor, etc.) Students who have started college or university are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
Submissions are accepted in:
- Visual Art
- Poetry & Spoken Word
- Creative Writing
- Performing Arts: Music & Dance
- Interactive & Multimedia
Please review all submission requirements carefully.
- Gain knowledge about climate change and its relationship to and impact on the ocean. Dive into Bow Seat’s Resource Studio to learn more about the issues; find artists and organizations taking action to protect our blue planet; and discover ways that you can get involved.
- Grow your skills in communication, critical thinking, creativity, and environmental advocacy. Use your artwork to raise awareness for critical environmental issues.
- Build your portfolio and make art in your preferred medium, or practice a new one! Add to your resume with a participation certificate.
- Showcase your talents worldwide. Through art exhibitions, publications, social media campaigns, and scholarships, Bow Seat uplifts diverse youth voices to advance dialogue and participation in ocean conservation and advocacy.
- Join Bow Seat’s global community of nearly 30,000 young people who care about the ocean, environmental justice, and climate action. Be inspired by the work of other young creators around the world.
- Be eligible for special opportunities, like the Future Blue Youth Council. Past program participants also serve as Bow Seat interns and Contest judges!
- Earn cash awards of up to $1,500!
Find out more and register at the official link below:
Apply before 13th June, 2023